Work to prepare and then cap the municipal solid waste (MSW) landfill site known as “La Pitilla”, to the south-east of the municipality of Puente Genil in the province of Córdoba.
This disused landfill did not meet the standards set in Royal Decree 1481 on the disposal of non-hazardous waste.
It needed to be closed down in such a way as to avoid any risks to human health and to prevent environmental damage as follows:
- To guarantee the stability of the site.
- To prevent the landfill from leaching contaminants into water courses after its closure.
- To prevent it becoming a source of unpleasant smells and a potential focal point for infection.
- To offset its visual impact and integrate the landfill into the surrounding area. The work included first collecting scattered refuse, cleaning the water course, dismantling a low-voltage power line and moving a high-voltage post, then PREPARING THE WASTE AND PHYSICALLY STABILISING THE LANDFILL.
The tasks carried out by Otero were the following:
- Covering the landfill area
- Controlling surface water
- Protecting slopes
- Restoration of plant cover
- Ancillary work: cafeteria, wooden perimeter fencing & open-tube piezometers